Muscular Development, Vol 16, No 6, Page 28, December 1979
still to be typed in
- Mr. America for 1979 is Ray Mentzer from Ephrata, Phennsylvania, but now living in California. Ray also won trophies for Best Legs and Best Back plus his height division. His size and musularity made the difference.
- Doc Neely (left) and Jim Manion, Physique Chairman, congratulate Ray on his Mr. America vicotry. Doc Neely and his staff dis a fine job on the contest.
- Greg Defarro won Most Muscular.
- Ron Teufel won his height class (short) and took the Best Abdominal trophy. He looked very musuclar in the contest.
- Gary Leonard was one of the favorites. he won his height class (tall) and the Best Arms trophy.
- A view of some of the Class-A contestants in the lineup. The massiveness of the lettering AMERICA in the background make the setting even more dramatic.
- Dave Rogers placed second in his class division and looked heavier and mroe muscular than when he appeared on our cover in 1978, the October edition.
- The top contestants in the tall class lineup. Extreme right is John Brown whose posing routien was nicely done. He got the Best Poser award...and deserved it.
- Jim Seltzer placed 2nd to Ron Teufel. He was among those favored in the short class.
- Bob Jodkiewicz, short class, placed 3rd.
- Joe Means was back on the scene. He picked up a 3rd.
- Clint Beyerle also placed 3rd in Class-C.
- The top men in the medium height class. From left: Dick Baldwin, Mario Nieves, Greg Deferro, Ray Mentzer and Joe Means. All potential winners.
- Two well-built contestants; Bill Arlen (left) and Les Galvin.
- A fine pose of Richard Baldwin.
- Mario Nieves displays a great physique.
- Another impressive musular pose of the winner, Ray Mentzer.
- Mr. America waves his hands in a victorious gesture while the huge throng that packed the auditorium that night applauded vociferously. Unidentified young lady and fellow (on right) gave out trophies. The massive lettering can be appreciated in this photo by Denie.
If you find these articles interesting and useful, please